The ideal scenario is for children to be safe, stable, and loved in their homes with their biological families. When this isn’t possible, the best solution for many is to live with other adults who open their homes and hearts to these children.
Foster care is important because it protects children and preserves families. When biological parents aren’t able to provide adequate care and safe homes for their children, foster parents are able to step in. While children work to move past their trauma and heal, biological parents get a chance to put their lives back together and earn another chance to parent, with the goal of reuniting the family.
Things to keep in mind:
- Foster care is temporary placement for children who have been removed from their biological caregivers due to abuse or neglect.
- The first goal of foster care is reunification.
- Foster families are encouraged to work in collaboration with biological families.
- Foster families are responsible for housing, feeding, and transporting the children placed in their care.
- Foster families are expected to parent the children in their home until permanency can be reached.
Family-Focused Therapeutic FOSTER CARE
Therapeutic foster parents receive extra training to provide nurturing and therapeutic environments for children with high-level needs. These caregivers provide high-level supervision, support and advocacy for children while they learn and develop to their fullest potential.
FOSTER TO ADOPT
“Foster to adopt” is a term for families who are licensed for both foster care and adoption. These families are foster families interested in adoption should the option become available with children placed in their homes. Foster to adopt families are foster families first. While foster care is temporary, in some cases children will become legally free for adoption. There are many families who accomplish their goal of expanding their family with this route, but successful foster to adopt parents are concerned first and foremost with serving children and families in need.