LIFE Project

The LIFE (Learning Independence From Experience) Project promotes self-confidence and self-sufficiency for young adults aging out of the foster care system and homeless young adults by providing independent living housing options and skills development.

Funding Partner: Texas Department of Family and Protective Services

Support Services
  • Case Management
  • Counseling
  • Financial Assistance (bi-weekly allowance)
  • Household Setup (furniture and supplies)
  • Work Skills Development
  • Life Skills Development
Who's Eligible
  • Young adults, ages 18 to 20 who are still in Child Protective Services (CPS) custody anywhere in Texas or who were in custody on their 18th birthday
  • Young adults who meet the above criteria who have children from anywhere in Texas
  • Homeless young adults, ages 18-21 (non-CPS)
  • Single or parenting single adults aging out of foster care
Housing Options

ACH will assist young adults in locating, securing and funding any of these housing options based on the young adult’s desired location:

  • College Dorms
  • Non-College Dorms
  • Shared Housing
  • Apartment
Community Referrals Application Process

Homeless young adults who are not in CPS care can apply by either calling 817.335.HOPE (4673) or completing the online application.

If you qualify for participation in the program, you will receive case management designed to help you accomplish your goals and obtain permanent housing.


Let’s find out if this program would be a good fit for you. To do that we will need to get some basic information and ask you a few questions. Please complete the form.

Community Referrals Application

Emma sought out the LIFE Project after graduating high school because she was experiencing homelessness. When she arrived, she was a very anxious and impulsive young lady. But she grew in confidence in the LIFE Project, discovering a passion for art, politics, and exercise.

During her time in the LIFE Project, Emma became active in the community, working and going to school and eventually buying a car. She also became involved in the LIFE Project Advisory Board and The Homeless Youth Action Board.

She has now graduated the program and is living on her own and working full time. Thanks to ACH and the LIFE Project, Emma is on a path to success.

OCOK Referrals Application Process

Young adults in Region 3b (Erath, Hood, Johnson, Palo Pinto, Parker, Somervell and Tarrant counties) must submit an application (CPS Form 2605) via Our Community Our Kids (OCOK).

Young adults in counties other than region 3b will complete an application (CPS Form 2605) and the CPS caseworker or Preparation for Adult Living (PAL) staff will review the application. Next, the submitted application is reviewed by the State Office Supervised Independent Living (SIL) Coordinator for approval.

ACH cannot accept applications that come directly from young adults. All applications must be approved via an OCOK care coordinator or through the State Office SIL Coordinator before being submitted by CPS/PAL staff.

Get help now by calling 817.335.HOPE (4673).

Get Immediate Help

Call 817.335.HOPE (4673)



Answered 24 hours a day

Not an emergency services phone number. Call 911 for medical emergencies.


In Texas: 1.800.252.5400
Nationwide: 1.800.4.A.CHILD

Under $25,000

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.